We Tried \
The power of Thor. How Chris Hemsworth trained to become a superhero
The work of an actor is incredibly difficult. People have to spend a lot of energy and nerves to prepare for the role as much as possible and be remembered by viewers around the world. Of course, some of the hardest filming are action and superhero movies. After all, it is here that the actors need not only immerse themselves in the image, but also bring their bodies into excellent physical shape.
Trying on the image of God is a very serious challenge for any actor. Especially when it comes to Thor, the god of thunder and storms. Australian actor Chris Hemsworth had to cope with such a task, just like lifting the legendary hammer Mjolnir. Here's what the actor does to maintain heroic muscle.
Preparing for the first Thor
When Chris originally auditioned for the role of Thor, he was a pretty athletic Australian boy with the typical surfer body. p>
But the actor was very far from the image of the thunderer. Therefore, the director of the film demanded that Hemsworth gain muscle mass in six months and come to the set as a completely different person. The actor was so motivated that he was able to increase his weight by 18 kilograms in six months. He spent every day in the gym and constantly ate protein foods. The results were great. Hemsworth could not even put on the Thor costume, which he literally hung on him at the first auditions.
Quick workout: how to load the whole body in 30 minutes?
Cut back on time in the gym without losing efficiency.
How does Thor train?
Of course, Chris Hemsworth has always devoted a lot of free time to sports. Long before getting a role in Marvel films, the actor was actively involved in surfing, which also required special training. Therefore, he approached the start of training in good physical shape. It is worth noting that beginners who want to quickly achieve the power of Thor should not immediately engage in the actor's program. Otherwise, the cherished figure will turn into constant visits to the doctor. If you want to see the result, you have to put in a huge amount of effort:
- Start slowly and warm up well to avoid injury.
- Take a day off if you need to: this kind of workout puts a huge strain on the muscles. Even if it takes longer, the result will still be obvious.
- Find a companion. Chris had two personal trainers who also kept him motivated when his mood was at zero.
- Don't drive yourself. Remember Chris didn't have any distractions; his life revolved around completing exercise and diet plans.
The gym sessions combined strength training and high interval loads. Sucha powerful combination gives incredibly fast results, which was required in the first place.
Transforming Man: The Amazing Metamorphoses of Christian Bale
Lose 20 kg and then gain 40 in just 6 weeks? For the actor, this is not a problem, because he has done this dozens of times.
The coaches professionally made a training program for the future god of thunder. Every day, except Sunday, Chris separately pumped his legs, back, shoulders, chest, biceps and triceps, paying attention to every detail in the exercises. In most cases, he did the exercises four times for 8-12 reps. The actor put special emphasis on cardio training so that the percentage of subcutaneous fat was as low as possible. It was with them that he began each lesson, training for 40-50 minutes.
Plan Chris Hemsworth's workouts
Monday - Legs and Chest
- Barbell Press
- Incline Bar Press
- Bench press head down
- Dumbbell Breeding
- Barbell Squat
- Dumbbell Deadlift
All in 4 sets of 12 reps.
Tuesday - Back & Biceps
- Bent-over Barbell Row (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Medium grip pull-ups (5 sets of 12 reps)
- Scott Bench Curls (5 sets of 12 reps)
- Standing Dumbbell Curls (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Hammer Exercise (3 sets of 12 reps)
- Plank on one leg (3 sets of 1 minute)
- Top Block Crunches (3 sets of 30 reps)
- Straight Curls (3 sets of 30 reps)
- Reverse crunches (3 sets of 30 reps)
- Side crunches (3 sets of 30 reps)
- Side plank (3 sets of 1 minute)
Martin Ford: I can rock up to £ 500, but what's the point?
He visits the auditorium every day to get the right fit for every next movie.
Thursday - Shoulders & Triceps
- Seated Barbell Press (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Standing Barbell Press (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Swing dumbbells in front of you (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Side dumbbell swing (3 sets of 12 reps)
- Bent over dumbbell swing (3 sets of 12 reps)
- French bench press (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Dips on the uneven bars (4 sets of 12retries)
Friday - Legs and Chest
- Flat Dumbbell Press (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Incline Dumbbell Press (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Head Down Dumbbell Press (3 sets of 12 reps)
- Dumbbell Breeding (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Dips (5 sets of 12 reps)
- Barbell Squat (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Dumbbell Deadlift (4 sets of 12 reps)
- Machine Leg Curl (4 sets x 12 reps)
Tabata training is carried out using kettlebells. The training is built in the form of a pyramid. Each technique must be performed for 20 seconds without rest. The break between exercises is no more than 10 seconds. It is recommended to perform from 3 to 5 approaches. Chris Hemsworth did the following kettlebell exercises:
- Swing with two hands - 10 times
- Right hand - 15 times
- Left hand - 15 times
- Alternating swings - 10 times
- Lifting the kettlebell on the chest with the right / left hand - 5 times
- Lifting the kettlebell on the chest with the right / left hand - 4 times
- Lifting the kettlebell on the chest with the right / left hand - 3 times
- Lifting the kettlebell on the chest with the right / left hand - 2 times
- Lifting the kettlebell on the chest with the right / left hand - 1 time
Rest and Recovery
As you can see, there are not so many movements in Chris Hemsworth's training. However, pumping, progress of working weights and proper nutrition provided the desired result. In parallel with the power loads, there were exercises from CrossFit - strikes with a sledgehammer on tires, jumps and push-ups.
The actor also started practicing some martial arts such as boxing and wrestling.
Nutrition program for gaining muscle mass
Thor's workouts look intimidating, but it is only half the work. Chris Hemsworth took a very responsible approach to the nutrition program to gain the required 18 kilograms. The actor had to consume about 6,000 calories a day. In order to keep his body in good shape with a minimum of subcutaneous fat, Chris ate a lot of steamed meat and fish, vegetables, fruits, and healthy carbohydrates.
Chris's food in preparation for the role of Thor included all types proteins of animal origin: eggs, chicken fillet, fish, steaks, veal, rabbit. At that time, the actor had to eat even at night. He woke up to drink a protein shake to saturate his muscles.
Chris Hemsworth's sample diet looked like this:
- Breakfast - eggs, porridge and fruits.
- Snack - fruit with nuts.
- Lunch - chicken breasts with garnish and vegetablesand.
- Snack - a serving of tuna with nuts and fruits.
- Dinner - a large steak or fish with vegetables.