Marathon Running Training | Avoid the Performance Plateau!
Running training and football: where is the connection?
During the entire World Cup, we were shown statistics on ball possession, shots on goal, successful passes and the mileage of the team and players. We became interested in football from the standpoint of amateur runners, and the professional physical training coach of the Spartak Football Academy named after F.F. Cherenkova Olga Smirnova spoke about the specifics of training and the importance of running in football.
In numbers: how much does a player run per match?
According to FIFA statistics, two players ran the most kilometers in all matches played Croatian national team: striker Ivan Perisic - 72.5 km in 632 minutes in 7 matches, and the Golden Ball winner, midfielder and captain of the national team Luka Modric - 72.3 km in 694 minutes in 7 matches.
figures to the average, and it turns out that every match Perisic ran for an hour and a half and covered 10.4 km. If he was running any kind of race on the asphalt, it would turn out that his average speed was 8.39 per kilometer - it is very slow, almost on foot. But if you watch any match of the Croatian or another national team, we will notice that the players develop a breakneck speed, especially when they attack or try to take the ball away from the opponent.
Ronaldo vs Usain Bolt
К By the way, at the 2018 World Cup, a new speed record was set. Cristiano Ronaldo in the match Portugal - Spain accelerated to 38.6 km / h (pace 1.33 min / km). Perhaps if the Portuguese national team player ran the 100-meter race, he would be able to beat Usain Bolt, who set the world record at a speed of 36 km / h (pace 1.40 min / km).
How do football players train?
Can you learn to run fast with the ball? Will there be enough gym workouts to develop endurance? These and other questions were answered by Olga Smirnova, a physical training teacher for children 10, 12 and 17 years old at the Spartak football academy, coach of the Nike Run Club running club, master of sports in athletics and two-time champion of Russia.
- Please tell us from which types of activities training of football players is being built.
- My task as a coach of Spartak is to develop young footballers in different ways and from year to year to increase the load. We work with speed, dexterity, coordination, as we grow older, we add exercises for the development of absolute and multi-vector speeds, speed endurance and just endurance, we begin to give speed-strength work. The oldest in our academy (16-17 years old), in addition to advanced speed-strength training, work on increasing strength and strength endurance. Of course, we must not forget about recovery and training aimed at preventing injuries and strengthening the athlete's ligamentous apparatus (work with foam-rollers, unstable platforms, mini-bands, etc.).
- Is the running training of football players different from the training of athletes?
- They are very different! A footballer is a versatile athlete. He must be fast and hardy at the same time, in order to withstand two halves without a decrease in efficiency, dexterous and creative, so that no one can read his further actions, and he was able to intercept the ball from an opponent, and, of course, strong in order to be able to firmly place the body and win the fight for the ball. Therefore, in training, we are working on everything and trying to develop many useful skills in football players that are simply not in demand in running.
- How long is the average running workout for a football player?
- We don't have separate running workouts, they are part of a large training complex. Fitness time depends on the age of the students, the season and the decision of the head coach of the team. For example, in the offseason we pay more attention to working on physics, we hold mini-training camps, where the main task of the coach is to lay the foundation, and in the high season we reduce the load and adjust the schedule for the games. On average, 20-40 minutes from a workout, we do physical training, the number of such workouts per week again depends on age. Plus there are separate classes in the gym, where the team usually works out twice a week for an hour.
- Do you train to run with the ball? And is there a difference in running technique with and without a ball?
- All training should be as close as possible to competitive activity. The difference between a footballer and an athlete is that a footballer's speed with the ball must not be lower than the usual running speed in a particular segment. There are many nuances in technique, but the main difference in dribbling is the forward tilt of the body.
- In your opinion, which of the skills (running fast / aiming the ball / feeling the team / not getting tired for a long time, etc.) is the most important for a football player?
- Football player must be developed versatile, one cannot attach importance to only one quality. The physical training of football players is a very important topic and a headache for the whole of Russian football, because it is in physics that we lose. The load is very different for each age: European clubs train their players in different directions from the age of 12, and ours begin to comprehensively approach training, unfortunately, much later.
Nevertheless, the 2018 World Cup showed that our players began to play better and not only made it out of the group, but also reached the quarterfinals. We hope that at the 2022 World Cup we will see a strong team, whose ranks will be joined by the younger generation and will lead Russia to the long-awaited cup.