20 Essential Marathon Training Tips | How To Run Your 1st Marathon
Running Big Goal: Preparing for Your First Marathon in 6 Months
Registration for the Moscow Marathon opens today, which will traditionally take place on 23 September. This means that it is time to start preparing if you are really ready to swing at such a grandiose goal. The sports director of the Stolitsa running club, professional trainer, finisher of IRONMAN and UltraTrail Milan Miletic told how to prepare for his first marathon, how to run and what to do after the finish.
- Many amateurs dream of running their first official marathon without injuries and emotional distress, so you need to prepare thoroughly. So, where do we start?
- First of all, you need to check your health status and get a medical certificate of admission to the race. Nowadays, a lot of runners buy help and they don't make anyone better. It is important for both the athlete and the coach to know about diseases and injuries in order to correctly build the training process and not harm. Therefore, first of all, we go to a sports clinic and undergo an examination.
- Suppose the doctors are allowed to run a marathon. When and how long should you run? How to train correctly?
- For competent preparation you need to write a training plan. It is individual for each athlete. At the Runner's Club, we conduct a survey to find out at what stage of the training process a person is, what kind of load he already performs and what load he can add. If he is just starting to run, we will recommend him to go for quick walks 2-3 times a week, and then we will add short running workouts, but after six months we will not advise him to run 42.2 km. It's another matter if a beginner is already running 4-5 km 2-3 times a week - then he will have enough time to prepare if he trains regularly. For experienced athletes, we will also help structure the training schedule and fill in the missing elements.
- Is there anything else to do besides running?
- There is a misconception in the running community that except for running, the athlete needs nothing more. As a result, runners go long distances with poor general fitness (GPP) and get injured. When we build a house, we start with the foundation, in any sport the foundation is general physical training. You can develop arms, abs, back, and stretch both in the gym and at home. Sometimes it is more useful to go swimming or take an active walk in the park instead of one of the running workouts to get not only physical strength but also pleasure from doing sports.
- Is there a special marathon diet to follow when preparing for a race?
- No, I don't support everything at all these diets are highly restricted. Everything should be in moderation, both training and food. Of course there are manyth fast food and sweets are very harmful, but sometimes you can indulge yourself a little. I do not recommend eating before bedtime, leaning on very high-calorie foods - the food should be varied, with vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, herbs. And if you need to lose weight before starting, then a rich training program will help you with this. Provided that a person goes in for sports on an ongoing basis and more or less properly eats, the weight will gradually start to go away.
- How to cope with increasing physical activity and not drop out of the rest of life?
- The primary problem of people in big cities is lack of sleep, and sleep is the best and most necessary recovery ... If we allocate time correctly and worry less about trifles, we will get a well-deserved sound sleep. The second problem is that rest is perceived as lying on the couch, which is fundamentally wrong, because in a passive state the body recovers worse. We choose other ways to relax: a walk in the forest or a park, going to the cinema, theater, museum, meeting with friends, sauna, massage. You can drink a glass of wine or a glass of beer, but don't overdo it. When preparing for a race, it is best to cut back on alcohol or avoid alcohol altogether in order to achieve better results.
- Preparing for a marathon is a very long process. What problems can you face at this time?
- Injuries and overtraining. This happens when the training process gets out of control, there is no trainer or program. The most common injuries are inflammation of the ligaments, tendons and periosteal tissues. To prevent them, you need to develop your base and not increase your training volume too much. If you feel that something hurts you somewhere, you do not need to continue training with the same amplitude, kick out like a wedge and chase the results of healthy athletes. Moreover, you do not need to take painkillers and continue training. When their effects are over, the pain will erupt with renewed vigor. Give your body time to recover, don't trigger an injury. It is better to take a break for 1-2 weeks than to be treated for several months and remain without sports.
When life begins build around trentraining, there are problems with sleep, nutrition, sweating increases, weight and libido sharply decrease - this is overtraining. Have noticed these symptoms - you need a break for 1-2 weeks to recover. KLB Capital promotes running not as a trend, but as a way of life, so that jogging is like a cup of coffee in the morning or brushing your teeth. You need to run not for the sake of a photo on Instagram, but for yourself - the right approach will also help protect yourself from injury. If we understand why we put on sneakers and go out into the street, what is it for, there will be no obstacles and additional incentives to start training will not be needed.
- We have found harmony with ourselves and, following the training plan , came to the start day. How to run a marathon?
- There is no point in advising specific brands and models, because all athletes have their own preferences. I will say one thing for sure: you need to dress in what you feel comfortable and confident in. Check your clothes and shoes in advance during training so that you do not rub your legs with brand new sneakers or straighten a shirt that is slipping off your shoulder during the race. If the weather may change during the race, wear multiple layers of clothing. It is better to take off your sweater and tie it around your shoulders or waist when it is hot than freezing, waiting for the start in one top.
- How to distribute forces over the course?
- Usually experience suggests. With systematic preparation, you will understand which tactics are more comfortable for you personally. If the athlete is confident enough in his abilities, he can keep an even pace throughout the course. If there is not much confidence, then it is recommended to start slowly and increase your speed as you cover the distance. The most common mistake is to overtake everyone at the start, get tired by the middle of the distance and watch how they overtake you now. If it's comfortable to run in a team, then choose a pacer with a suitable speed, they are on all major races, including the Moscow Marathon, and staying close is a good strategy.
- How to eat properly during race time?
- There is no single rule. Someone finds it more convenient to eat organic food, someone prefers gels and isotonics, and experienced athletes running for a result can generally refuse food and only occasionally drink water. During the races, you need to eat high-calorie food, mainly getting calories from sugar, and there will be enough fat and protein in the body.
- What else can help on distantsii?
- Supports fans. It's good if friends can run the most difficult sections with you or support you with a chant or a poster when you run past. But my dream is that during such big races as the Moscow Marathon, more people come out to cheer for the runners. The marathon is not only a competition, it is a sports holiday, if residents show friendliness and support everyone, then the attitude towards sports will change, more and more people will want to come to Moscow for such an event.
- Finish! 42 km 195 m behind. What's next?
- In KLB Capital, every runner has three goals: to finish the season without injuries, to enjoy the race and finish with a desire to continue training. After the marathon, you need to rest for 1-2 weeks: you can eat a lot and lie on the couch, looking for a new running target. After this rest, the marathon form will partially collapse, and in its place we will build a new one, even better than the previous one, because we will start training with fresh strength.
On September 23, you can meet Milan Miletich at a distance 10 km and ask your questions. And I'm starting to prepare for the marathon itself.
And today in our group on VKontakte a drawing of a slot for the Moscow Marathon is taking place and an individual training plan is being drawn up from a professional trainer of KLB Stolitsa. You can also join the preparation and conquer the marathon distance with the Championship!