UNBELIEVABLE TINY HOME TOUR | Crystal Cabin Life
Ksenia Shoigu. A hobby that has become the work of a lifetime
We talked with Ksenia Shoigu - the head of the League of Heroes team, specializing in organizing large sports events in the amateur segment, and learned how a new type of active recreation was born out of love for sports and perseverance.
Photo: Press Service of the League of Heroes
- Being a girl in sports, and even more so a manager in a sports project, is already a rarity. How did you come to sport and how did you get the idea of the Race?
- I have always loved sports, especially running. But until a certain moment I did not try to organize sports events. Initially, we conceived this event for ourselves and for our friends, but thanks to the interest of people, it became clear that the project was simply doomed to become massive and popular.
When the Race of Heroes appeared, and then the concept of other sports projects, it was time to create some kind of unified brand, organization and, of course, gather a team of enthusiasts who are ready to work with full dedication. This is how the League of Heroes was born in 2015. Now the League has grown, there are more of us, we have become more experienced. Races with obstacles - our direction is practically new and this, of course, was an additional incentive - excitement and a desire to be a pioneer!
Photo: Press Service of the League of Heroes
- How did it all start? What was the geography in the first year of launching the project?
- Oh, I love this story. It all started with one phone call. In August 2013, a friend of mine called me and said: Listen, I have a great idea. Do you know something about obstacle courses? I want to gather all my most athletic friends and arrange such a race! I liked the idea, and I told him: Let's try! Found a site, in fact - a simple field. Collected simple obstacles from wood, hay, tires. These simple designs will later grow our famous poles, Everest and other tests. Then we got a real scout's path. Then it was necessary to find participants. They called friends, acquaintances, friends, former classmates. As a result, there were several hundred people! It was in Moscow, we came to the federal level later, in 2015.
- What scale and figures have you come to now?
- Our first project, flagship, that is, the Race of Heroes will be five years old this year. These are 25 regions and over 500 thousand participants and spectators from all over the country. In three countries, to be more precise. We held a Race in Baku, organized a winter race in Germany on the Nürburgring race track.
- Is there a standard set of obstacles on the site or do they change based on some local peculiarities? / b>
- We have a lot of iconic, easily recognizable obstacles: rods, Everest, reborn, but, naturally, for each route they have their own orderok placement. Most routes have their own special challenges. We are constantly adding something new to each of our tracks. For example, for the participants of the Championship format, we offer more obstacles and increased mileage.
(Championship is a competitive format of the Race of Heroes with a prize fund and a complicated track.)
Photo: Press Service of the Hero League
- You yourself often take part in starts, for example in the Race, which took place in Germany. For this you need to have good physical fitness. Have you been involved in any sport professionally in the past?
- No, I have never been involved in super-professional sports. But I was seriously fond of running, and now, as you know, hobbies and work go hand in hand. When you organize your own sporting event, the first thing you want to do is to participate in it yourself, compare with other similar projects.
- What was your experience with the start of the Race of Heroes in Baku last year?
- I can say for sure that it was a very exciting experience, because it was the first time when we organized the Race not in Russia, but in a country where there was no such direction yet. Taking into account the support of our Azerbaijani colleagues and the hard work of our team, we were able to create a really excellent event that we liked, and the participants, and the organizers from the Azerbaijani side. In general, the result was positive. It was with him that we started our international activities.
- Similar races are held all over the world in different formats and under the auspices of different brands. Have you participated in similar projects of your colleagues, have you exchanged experience with them?
- Of course, I did. And, of course, we exchanged experiences from an organizational point of view. In general, in comparison with American and Western counterparts, we have a very high level of quality. And those foreigners who ran the race in Russia are surprised and write enthusiastic comments on social networks. We are pleased that the level of organization of our events is highly appreciated abroad. Nevertheless, there are always points of growth. For us, this is international marketing. Now we are learning to plan, involving participants at an earlier stage, trying to combine all aspects of the preparation of the event into a single polished mechanism.
- What do you think: what is the key feature of European starts and what do you think opinion unique to Russia?
- The first difference is the obstacles. If in foreign races one of the fundamental tests on the track is the relief, elevation differences, then for the most part these are unique obstacles that you, as a participant, need to overcome. The second difference is the start format itself. We have team races with a certain set of rules (we do not abandon our own, we always wait for the last team member, we listen to the advice of the instructor who helps to passtrack), and in the West, people, as a rule, participate one by one in mass starts. And third, because we like to challenge ourselves, our projects are perceived not only as entertainment, but also as a test, a test of strength. But the emotions in both cases are the same - the joy of victory, pride in yourself, your perseverance and willpower. At the preparation stage, you still do not know whether you will be able to pass the track, whether it will submit to you or not. And only then it becomes clear that everything is quite simple and the main thing is to enjoy the race.
- What are the further prospects for the development of the race?
- Today there are many who want to bring the race to other countries ... My team and I are performing, in my opinion, a rather difficult task - so that the project does not simultaneously lose quality and gain popularity. In any case, we are not going to stop there.
Photo: Press Service of the League of Heroes
- Ksenia, what is important to you in life? What do you think a modern girl should be like?
- She should be smart, courageous and internally free, educated and harmonious, respecting our values. And she must also be beautiful. And I'm not talking so much about appearance as about the charm and spiritual beauty of a person.
- Is it difficult to combine work on such a large-scale project and personal life: meeting friends, seeing family? How to keep up with everything?
- You need to plan your time well! And don't forget about motivation! If you have enough of it, then you will be able to do absolutely everything - there is no need to justify yourself that you do not have time to do something, because there is simply not enough time. You don't have time just because you don't want it enough.
- Do you agree with the statement that sports and physical activity are the most important components of the daily routine of a modern person?
- Of course , it is an integral part of the life of a modern person, which is very helpful in work. It helps for several reasons: firstly, these are endorphins that are produced during exercise. Secondly, a fit and athletic person feels much better and can endure higher loads with lack of sleep, a lot of work, multitasking, in comparison with a person who does not play sports. Thirdly, this is definitely your time when no one bothers you and when you can think about resolving some issues. During the workout, new thoughts and answers to many questions come.
Photo: League of Heroes Press Office
- How do you keep fit? Do you go to the gym or do you prefer jogging in the fresh air?
- I can't imagine myself apart from sports. I like the form I have now reached, but I will not stop there. I'm gladno, which means my day always starts out positively. I'm a jogging fan. For me, this is a kind of relaxation. I can run everywhere: on any path, in the forest, in the park, in the city - it doesn't matter at all. I jog regularly in the morning. This is my ritual, which is already several years old. Plus, of course, this is training in the gym three times a week. I then apply all the acquired skills at the Race - this is a great way to check if you have achieved any result while training in the gym. And when I see progress, it motivates me a lot.
- Have you tried any of the modern fitness trends? Maybe crossfit, air yoga or cycling?
- As for air yoga - I don't even know what it is! I think I will study it and I will definitely try! But recently I decided (and even asked my comrades and colleagues to help me) to start preparing for the triathlon. This is certainly not IRONMAN. We'll start with some small distances. I think I will take part in competitions this summer to see if this is mine. And by next year I will set myself some ambitious goal and hope to get the coveted finishing medal!
- What about recovering from training or a hard day at work? What helps to switch and relax? What does your ideal rest look like?
- In my opinion, a good workout is a workout from which you do not need to recover. If yesterday you died in the hall, and today you can hardly walk, then something needs to be changed. My training format is regularity, this is frequency, this is a good inner state both before and after classes. So I don't have to rehabilitate myself. I do everything smoothly enough. I started running from small distances, and now I run 10 km a day, but I achieved this result in two years. And one more important point - you need to get enough sleep. I say this as a person who slept very little during a certain period of his life. But the development of a large sports project is not a short track, it is a marathon distance, and sleep is very important. Only he will allow you to be one hundred percent efficient.
Photo: the press service of the League of Heroes
As for the perfect vacation ... I love to sing, meet friends, play sports - do everything that gives vivid positive emotions and allows you to switch. I also consider my free time with my family to be a rest - at such moments I allow myself to relax. But I can't just lie in bed doing nothing. The main thing is that the rest is active!
- And finally, we would like you to advise something to our readers and readers, perhaps one of them is just about ready to get off the couch and go for sports.
- The main thing is to start. It's easier to continue. I remember the story of a friend of mine who decided to go to the gym. She drew up a whole checklist, there were such funny, at first glance, things, how to see options for group classes, to see the gymetc. And here is the result - the person is in great shape now! Therefore, I would advise people who are just thinking about going in for sports to put themselves a little plus for visiting a sports portal and reading this interview - this is a great first step! I hope I managed to motivate you!
Thanks to the press service of the League of Heroes for their assistance in preparing the material.