Is Triathlon Becoming Too Expensive? | The GTN Show Ep. 32
Is triathlon expensive? How much does preparation and participation in the race cost?
Triathlon is gaining popularity in Russia. Leading starts gather hundreds of participants. At the same time, there is an opinion that triathlon is a sport for wealthy people and not every person can afford to go to the triathlon start. We have calculated how much it will cost to participate in the triathlon start and prepare for it. The amount is quite affordable.
Monday morning: summer events not to be missed
The best competitions, festivals and starts that you can still get to.
The press secretary of IRONSTAR, a beginner triathlete Alexandra Zakharova , helped us answer the question of how much a triathlon start costs.
At the initial stage, almost all equipment can be rented, and in order to prepare for a short distance, for example, a sprint for a person who leads an active lifestyle, one month of targeted training is enough.
Triathlon start starts with swimming. Learning to crawl to overcome from 500 to 1000 m in a month is quite realistic. You can go to a swimming school, where they give a guarantee that in a month you will swim quite tolerably. Of course, everything is individual, but most succeed.
- Course at I Love Swimming school (3 times a week for a month) - 19,500 rubles.
For swimming, you will need a one-piece swimsuit / swimming trunks, slippers, a cap, a towel and glasses.
- Swimsuit / swimming trunks: from 1000 rubles.
- Points: from 1000 rubles.
- Hat: about 500 rubles. (I Love Swimming is free)
For starters, you can buy everything at a regular sports store. For example, the budget brand MadWave. Top brands like Speedo and TYR can also find good deals.
Triathlete in gear during cycling
Bike workout - one of the biggest expenses in preparation for the start, but you can't do without them. You need to learn how to sit properly, zip in and out, turn, brake, shift gears. It's better to do everything right away for real and learn with clipless pedals. You will immediately feel the difference in pedaling in the contacts. It's worth investing in cycling shoes, which can be found at affordable prices. There are also very budgetary ones.
- One full-time training with a trainer will cost from 2000 rubles.
An alternative - grunpovyh activities, so even more fun. I Love Cycling has a cycling school, where they give bike rights based on the results of their training.
If none of your triathlete friends are ready to give up their old bike, then the best option to start is to rent it for training and start. There are bike rentals, for example, in Krylatskoye.
- Rent will cost from 700 rubles. per workout.
- Buying a bike - from 20 thousand rubles.
You can buy a used bicycle with an aluminum frame for $ 20,000. This can be found, for example, at a triathlon flea market in Facebook or through services selling used things. For the first time, such a bike will definitely do. Technique and endurance are often much more important than the model of a bicycle.
Life hack: buy cycling equipment gradually. You will have to fork out for everything at once.
Be sure to buy:
- Cycling shoes: from 3000 rubles.
- Helmet: from 2000 rubles. Average price - 5-6 thousand rubles.
- Cycling shorts from 2000 rub. Average price - 4-5 thousand rubles.
- Jersey (bike) from 2000 rub. At the initial stage, you can do with a regular sports shirt.
- Points can be found for 1000 rubles. Brands will cost from 7 thousand rubles.
- Socks - about 1000 rubles.
It is customary for cyclists to buy special long socks to the mid-calf, but you can do without them.
You can, of course, learn to run on your own, but it's better to enlist the support of professionals.
- Monthly course of the I Love Running school - from 8900 rubles.
- Online course on 5 km running - from 1290 rubles.
For running you only need sneakers, but do not save on them. Look for inexpensive running shoes to avoid unnecessary injuries and to feel comfortable at a distance.
- Running shoes: good models can be found for 3-4 thousand rubles.
How to choose a running shoe? Plain sneakers won't work
Which sneakers should you run in and why is it important to choose the right training shoes.
It's better to buy a starter suit or trisuit to start. This is a one-piece or separate suit, in which it is very convenient to go through the entire race from start to finish, without wasting time changing clothes. Although in your first start you can take your time, but it will add convenience.
- The starting suit can be found for 5 thousand rubles.
If the weather is cool , for the swimming stage you will need a wetsuit. It is better to rent it.
- Purchase of a wetsuit - from 10 thousand rubles. You can look for used ones.
- Rent - about 500 rubles. per day.
Starting slot depends on the organizer and the race. It should be remembered that the closer the start, the more expensive the slots and the fewer of them. It is better to choose and book a starting place in advance.
- Titan sprint slot - from 1500 rubles.
- Sprint slot Thunder - about 3500 rubles.
- Sprint slot IRONSTAR - about 5000 rubles.
- Slot on Ironman (226 km) - from 10 thousand rubles.
Medical certificate and insurance
To participate in the triathlon start, you will need a medical certificate of admission to the competition. It can cost in different ways. It is worth focusing on 800-1500 rubles. Insurance is also a required document to access the start.
- Certificate of admission to the competition: about 1000 rubles.
- Insurance: from 400 rubles.
If you choose to race far from home, you need to consider the costs of travel and accommodation. For a start, it's better to find a start closer to save that money.
The spread of the final amount can be huge. It all depends on your capabilities and desires. If you approach the matter responsibly, but at the same time economically, then with the preparation, equipment and a starting slot for the sprint, you can keep within the amount close to 70 thousand rubles. A triathlon start will cost you about that much. This is a lot, but not as expensive as many people think. You can, of course, train on your own, buy a slot, come to the start in sneakers, rent a bike and keep within 10 thousand rubles, but such a start is unlikely to give you pleasure.
- Total amount: from 70 thousand rubles.