Why Your Diet Isn't Working: Science Explained
How do you know if your diet isn't working?
Doctor of the highest category, nutritionist, cardiologist, candidate of medical sciences, member of the National Society of Nutritionists, Russian Cardiological Society, doctor WORLD CLASS Romanov Oksana Lishchenko opens his column at the Championship. Look for more useful materials by tag # Nutritionist will tell .
Today, together with Oksana, we will try to answer the most common question of people who have recently decided to change their bodies: how to understand that your diet is not working?
Oksana Lishchenko: To conclude that the diet is not working, you need to understand what result you want. As a rule, the main goal of any diet is to solve the problem of losing weight or losing weight. Why does it fail? Let's figure it out.
Frequently asked questions and misconceptions about losing weight:
Question 1: I eat only the right food, no junk food, why am I not losing weight?
Answer: There are three reasons why you are not losing weight with proper nutrition.
- Reason 1: Among the right foods, there are dangerous foods that have a catch, as they contain a lot of calories, although they have useful properties. If you eliminate them from your diet or significantly reduce their number, you will begin to lose weight. What products are these: nuts, cheese, avocados, sweet fruits (figs, dates, persimmons, grapes, bananas), various sauces. It is also very important to name alcohol - those who are losing weight should be absolutely excluded for the time of weight correction. Alcohol of any strength and in any quantity is prohibited!
- Reason 2: you eat the right foods all week, and on weekends you have a cheat meal, or a loading day (cheatday), or in some other way arrange yourself a reward in the form of sweets, fast food, sushi, pizza, dumplings , hamburgers and so on. Remove such meals from the diet, and you will notice the effect much faster only from the daily intake of a proper balanced diet.
- Reason 3: medical problems when weight cannot be reduced in any way, and additional consultation is needed: endocrine pathology (thyroid diseases, obesity of the 1-3rd degree, hypothalamic syndrome, etc.), gastrointestinal problems (pancreatitis, peptic ulcer, colitis, etc.), male or female health problems (hormonal disruptions, when you need a consultation with a gynecologist or andrologist).
Question 2: I eat so little, but why not losing weight?
Answer: the misconception that you need to eat very little to lose weight! It is important to get enough calories from your diet (only 20% less than you spend) and a normal balanced composition of proteins, fats and carbohydrates! If you create a very large calorie deficit (50% or more), then you will definitelylosing weight is wrong: you will lose muscle and water, not fat, since it is a strategic store of energy in the body precisely for such hungry periods of life. As soon as you observe the correct balance in calories, proteins, fats and carbohydrates, the body will start working like a clock and get rid of excess fat, and not muscle.
Question 3: I lost weight on ... a diet, but then gained even more, the diet is not working?
Answer: First, nutritionists are against diets! Diets remain only for the treatment of patients in hospitals. Secondly, the absolute majority of people are helped to create a slender and healthy body simply by a balanced rational and varied diet! If you are losing weight, then gaining weight again, then you are definitely doing something wrong! In dietetics, this is called yo-yo syndrome, when, after too much calorie restriction (eating 500-700 kcal per day), a person switches to a regular diet and gains even more weight than he was initially. See a dietitian, do a body composition analysis (bioimpedance) and choose the right diet for calories and composition of proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
Question 4: How fast is fat burning?
Answer: It is normal for the body to lose 1 kg of fat per week (or 4 kg of fat per month)! Note that the calculation is in kilograms of fat, and not just in reducing kilograms of weight. These are absolutely real numbers that can be easily achieved with proper nutrition and regular exercise. With this rate of fat loss, you will definitely not starve and break down, there will be no hormonal disruptions or complications, the skin will not hang and ugly folds will not form.
What factors to look out for to lose weight faster:
- Consult a dietitian for an accurate calculation the calorie content of the diet and the required content of proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
The correct calculation of calories will help you really lose weight, and the correct selection of the amount of proteins, fats and carbohydrates will help to reduce weight precisely due to fat while maintaining muscles! As a result, you will get a high-quality, slender, relief body! We'll talk about the correct calculation of calorie content next time - for now, let's say that the main (basic) metabolism depends on gender, weight, height and age (approximately 1200-1500 kcal for women, 1500-1800 kcal for men). To this figure is added the physical activity that a person leads - someone walks a maximum of half an hour a day, and someone exercises 5 times a week, so the calorie consumption in a normal life can be different for people of the same weight and height, for example. And already from the consumption of calories, we calculate the diet - how many calories should be in food (for weight loss, this is minus 20% of the calorie consumption).
- Consider the importance of the drinking regime and diet.
You should eat at least 4 times a day, every 3-4 hours... These will be full meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner - and 1-2 snacks (yogurt, fruits, vegetables, nuts, the right sandwich, etc.).
Calculation of the drinking regimen: determine the ideal body weight (note, this figure is needed to calculate the fluid, and not to achieve this weight when losing weight) - calculated by the formula: for men - height in cm minus 100, for girls - height in cm minus 110. Multiply the resulting figure by 30 ml and you get the amount of fluid consumed on a typical day, and if you multiply by 40 ml, you determine the amount of fluid on the days of training or physical activity. This amount includes all the liquid that you consume - water, coffee, tea, and soups. It is desirable that more than half of this amount be clean drinking water (ideally, this amount can be water).
- Maintain regular physical activity.
What is the norm for physical activity? You can choose the type of activity that is easier for you to question in your real life:
- or walk a lot (at least 10 thousand steps, 13-15 thousand steps for weight loss),
- or do moderate exercise (yoga, exercise, light dancing, etc.) - 30 minutes at least 5 days a week,
- or exercise (gym, swimming, running, group exercises, playing sports) at least 2 times a week.
Choose according to the time and state of your health. The main thing is that it brings you pleasure and is a regular activity.
- Get enough sleep and rest.
You need to sleep at least 7 hours, maximum 10 hours. Keep track of which bed you sleep on, which pillow you use, how quickly you fall asleep, whether you wake up rested, and so on.
It is very important for losing weight a comfortable psychological state: go about your hobbies, spend time with friends, relax, meditate, switch and relax.
- Monitor your health and body composition data.
Let's name the simplest but very important health indicators that everyone should know about themselves.
- Body mass index (ratio of height and weight): for all people it should be less than 25kg / m2 - calculated as follows: weight in kg is divided twice by height in meters. Above 25 is overweight, over 30 is obese! If the body mass index is less than 18.5, then stop urgently in the process of losing weight and start gaining weight (due to muscles) - this is an indicator of insufficient weight, and it is also dangerous to health, like obesity! Excess weight is dangerous for cardiac problems, stress on the spine and joints, diabetes mellitus, and lack of weight is associated with an increased risk of cancer, immunodeficiency conditions and frequent infections.
- Waist circumference: the norm for women is less than 80 cm, for men less than 94 cm.If the numbers exceed 88cm in women and 102 cm in men - this is the most dangerous option for health obesity - abdominal obesity, a sign of metabolic syndrome (when, like a lifeline, visceral fat accumulates in the abdomen, around the internal organs.
- The level of cholesterol and glucose in the blood: the norm of cholesterol is less than 5 mmol / l, the norm of glucose is less than 6 mmol / l (or it is better to know the level of glycated hemoglobin - it should be less than 6%).
Blood pressure numbers: The normal pressure is 120/80 mm Hg, the border between the norm and the pathology is the figure 140/90 mm Hg - if you often record pressure figures above this figure - a reason to get tested. / li>
- Percentage of body fat according to bioimpedance data (method for determining body composition): the norm for women is 20-25%, for men - 15-20% (fitness norm for training men and women is 5% lower ). This is the main indicator of the quality of your body, it is important to monitor it during the process of losing weight!
The path to slimness without determining body composition is impossible or undesirable! You should determine the composition of the body once a month and monitor what is happening inside your body - whether the fat decreases (which means you are doing everything right), or only water and muscles go away (and then this will be a reason to reconsider and change your nutrition and training ).
In all such situations, we recommend that you consult a dietitian, competently analyze body composition and indicators of your health, choose the right diet that you can easily follow to achieve the body of your dreams).