48 hours in Saransk, Russia
Guides to the cities of the World Cup: what to see in Saransk?
We continue our series of guides with useful information about the cities that host the World Cup 2018. In our today's material, we will tell you about the city of Saransk and its main attractions: ancient temples, popular parks and museums. We will also show you where you can try the local cuisine, the famous Mordovian honey and, of course, learn about the history of the city.
How to get from the airport and railway station in Saransk?
Saransk is pretty a small city, so the city center, train station and airport are quite close to each other. First, let's talk about the main railway station in Saransk. It is located almost in the center of the city, so it will not be difficult to travel there or from there to any part of the city. Buses, trolleybuses and fixed-route taxis go from the station.
Saransk airport of the same name was reconstructed specifically for the upcoming World Cup. It is quite easy to navigate here as the airport is small. It takes about an hour to get from the airport to the city center. From the nearest stop Airport, you can get there by bus, minibus and taxi:
- Bus # 7 and minibus # 15. Transport runs every 20-25 minutes. Both by bus and by minibus to the Airport station, the fare is 20 rubles.
- Buses. No. 7. Departs every 25 minutes. No. 13э. Every 2 hours. No. 31. Every 1 hour 30 minutes. No. 36. Every 1 hour 30 minutes. No. 38. Every 3 hours. Minibus No. 15. Every 10 minutes. Buses No. 36 and No. 38 go to the railway station.
- Taxi. You can also order a taxi from the airport, but in advance, you'd better find out the price, since the journey from the airport to the center by taxi can cost you 2 times more. However, you can reach the center in 20-25 minutes. You can order a taxi here.
Where to live in Saransk?
Saransk is one of those cities where it will be cheaper to stay in hotels, and not to book an apartment or a room.
- Renting an apartment in Saransk during the World Cup is not the best solution, since the cheapest room , or rather a bed for sleeping, will cost you 3000 rubles.
- Renting a whole apartment for a day starts from 4000 rubles.
- However, a bed in a 6-bed dormitory room in a hostel in the center will cost you 3000-5000 rubles.
- At the same time, a hotel , which will be close to the city center and the stadium, will cost about 3000 rubles per day, and several options nearby in the city center.
|Hotel Olympia. Rooms from 2400 rubles per day.||Watch.|
|Hotel Meridian. Rooms from 4800 rubles per day.||Watch.|
|Park Hotel. Rooms from 3000 rubkill in a day.||Watch.|
How to get to the stadium?
You can get to Saransk stadium from the airport by bus, taxi and minibus in an hour. From the nearest station Airport to the stadium buses No. 7, No. 13э, No. 31 and minibus No. 15.
From the railway station to the stadium there are buses and trolleybuses:
- Buses # 30, # 36, # 38, # 5.
- Trolleybus # 5
From the station to the stadium can be reached in 20-25 minutes.
The stadium is located quite close to the city center, so it will not be difficult to get to it.
There are no problems with transport in Saransk, buses and minibuses run regularly. Travel by bus and trolleybus in the city costs 17 rubles. Of course, the taxi will cost more. Transport timetables can be found here.
Recommended for visiting: in a nutshell
Saransk is a rather small city, the center of which can be bypassed in a couple of hours. It is in the center that you can see all the main attractions of the city.
- Church of St. John the Theologian. The oldest church, which was built in the early 17th century.
- Cathedral of St. Theodore Ushakov. The Cathedral is the main attraction of the city.
- The city center - Sovetskaya street. The main street of Saransk, where you can walk and go to one of the many cafes nearby. Various events are also often held in the city center.
- Park of Culture and Leisure named after Pushkin. This park is the central one in the city. Here you can take a walk, look at fountains and ride attractions.
- Millennium Square. The square was built relatively recently and its main attraction is the Star of Mordovia. Zvezda is one of the largest light and music fountains in Russia.
Where to eat?
If you go for a walk in the center city, then you will not have problems with food, as there are many restaurants, cafes and bars. Here are some famous ones:
- Restaurant Mordovskoe Podvorie is one of the most famous establishments in Saransk. It is here that you can taste national dishes. See the menu.
- Harat`s Pub is the establishment of a popular chain of Irish pubs. There is live music in the pub, and on the menu: draft beer, steaks and various salads. See the menu.
- Cafe Excellent dumplings - a cozy cafe for the whole family with unusualm interior. The main dishes of the establishment are dumplings and dumplings. See the menu.
- Art Cafe Arbuzov is a popular restaurant in the city center. In the cafe you can not only eat delicious food, but also sing karaoke. See the menu.
- Cafe Malina - ideal for those who came to Saransk with children. Every Sunday, the cafe organizes a special program for children, and also has a special children's menu. In addition, here you can have a good rest in a pleasant environment. See the menu.
Souvenirs: what to bring from Saransk?
The best gift from Saransk can be handmade by local craftsmen and sweets from a local confectionery factory. Also, at any kiosk you can buy a magnet, bells, spoons with the city's inscription and with the image of the main attractions of Saransk. In addition, there are many markets in the city, one of the largest is the Central Market, where you can buy souvenirs and famous products of the city. Most Popular:
- Woven products with national embroidery. Where to buy: Mordovian patterns salon shop.
- Wicker sandals and baskets. Where to buy: in any market
- Candy from the confectionery factory and Lamzur. Where to buy: in local shops or in the markets.
- A doll in a national costume. Where to buy: a shop-salon Mordovian patterns.
- Honey. Where to buy: at any market in the city.
Saransk is a rather small city, but with an interesting history and ancient architecture. There are a lot of picturesque and interesting places in the city where you can walk and learn local traditions, try local cuisine. Also in Saransk, sports and cultural events are often held, which anyone can attend.