Danny's World Cup City Guide - Moscow
Guides to the cities of the World Cup: what to see in Moscow?
It would seem that everyone and everyone knows about the capital: the ever-growing and renewing city gives opportunities and prospects, does not believe in tears and does not get tired of surprising! In any season, crowds of tourists flock here, and locals prefer to spend time outside the home - with a cup of aromatic cappuccino on the summer veranda or while cycling in the park. You can explore the city for a long time, but for the guests of the World Cup we have put together a short checklist of the coolest things to do in Moscow in the summer.
How to get from airports and railway stations in Moscow?
The resident population of Moscow is more than 12.4 million people (according to Rosstat for 2017), people arrive in the city every day - some for a short time, and some forever. To cope with the large passenger traffic, the capital has 3 airports and 9 train stations, so check carefully where you arrive and plan your route in advance.
|Airport - Vnukovo||Domodedovo Airport|
|Aeroexpress||To Kievsky railway station (metro station Kievskaya) every 30-60 minutes. from 6:00 to 0:00. Travel time 35-40 minutes.||To the Paveletsky railway station (metro station Paveletskaya) every 30 minutes. from 5:15 to 0:30 Travel time 40-50 minutes.||To the Belorussky railway station (metro station Belorusskaya) every 30 minutes. from 5:00 to 0:30. Travel time 35-40 minutes.|
|Public transport|| Bus 611 to the stations of Rumyantsevo, Troparevo and Yugo-Zapadnaya metro stations, travel time 60 min. It runs from 5:15 am to 1:22 pm with an interval of 11-32 minutes.
Bus 911 to the metro station Salaryevo, travel time 40 min. It runs from 5:48 to 0:40 with an interval of 10-15 minutes.
Bus 526 to the metro station. Teply Stan. It runs from 7:00 to 23:00 on weekdays and from 6:49 to 20:49. The interval of movement is every hour. Travel time: 1.5 hours.
| Bus 308 to the metro station Domodedovskaya. Every 5-10 minutes from 5:40 am to 0:00 am, on the way 1 hour 10 minutes. Fare - 82 rubles
Route taxi 308e to the metro station. Domodedovskaya non-stop. Departure - every 12 minutes, on the way - 56 minutes. Cost - 120 rubles.
| Bus 851 to the metro station River Station. Every 10-15 minutes. from 5:09 to 0:46. Travel time - 50 min.
Bus H1 (night) - every half hour from 0:34 to 5:05 from the airport through the center of Moscow to the south-west of the city.
The cost of travel in the bus at the rate of the United - 55 rubles.
Route taxi 948 to the metro station. Glider. Every 15-20 minutes. from 7:45 am to 11:10 pm on weekdays and from 6:45 am to 10:00 pm on weekends.
|Taxi|| Uber to the center from 850 rub.
Yandex.Taxi. RUB 300 delivery + 8 rub / min and 8 rub / km
Gett. 1399 RUB to any part of the city
Approximate travel time 40 min.
| Uber to the center from 1000 rubles.
Yandex.Taxi 300 rubles. delivery + 8 rub / min and 8 rub / km
Gett 1399-1699 rub. depending on theremoteness of the destination area from the airport
Approximate travel time 1 hour 5 minutes.
| Uber to the center from 850 rubles.
Yandex.Taxi 300 rubles. delivery + 8 rub / min and 8 rub / km
Gett 1299-1499 rub. depending on the remoteness of the destination area from the airport
Approximate travel time 40 min.
If all the airports are outside the city limits, then, fortunately for those who come, the railway stations are located in Moscow itself and near metro stations, so it will be difficult to get lost. In addition, there are always ground transport stops near the train stations, which will take you almost anywhere in the capital.
- Belorussky railway station - metro station Belorusskaya (Ring line), metro station Belorusskaya (radial - Zamoskvoretskaya line);
- Kazansky, Leningradsky and Yaroslavsky railway stations - metro station Komsomolskaya (Ring line), metro station Komsomolskaya (radial - Sokolnicheskaya line);
- Kievsky railway station - metro station Kievskaya (Ring line), metro station "Kievskaya" (Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya line) and metro station Kievskaya (Filevskaya line);
- Kurskiy railway station - metro station Kurskaya (Ring line), metro station Kurskaya (Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya line) and metro station "Chkalovskaya" (Lyublinsko-Dmitrovskaya line);
- Paveletsky railway station - metro station "Paveletskaya" (Ring line), metro station "Paveletskaya" (Zamoskvoretskaya line);
- Rizhsky railway station - metro station "Rizhskaya" (Kaluzhsko-Rizhskaya line);
- Savyolovsky railway station - metro station "Savyolovskaya" (Serpukhovsko-Timiryazevskaya line).
The city has well-developed transport, including night routes. Muscovites often use public transport to move around the city, because of traffic jams, many move by private car only outside the city, and when entering, they leave it in an intercepting parking lot and continue their journey by metro, bus, tram, trolleybus, MCC (circular city route electric trains), monorail (more often used for sightseeing trips), fixed-route taxis.
All of the above transport (except for some route taxis, where you have to pay in cash) are subject to uniform tariffs. Single tickets and tickets for 90 minutes can be purchased on buses, trams, trolleybuses and ticket offices of the metro and the MCC. Also, ticket offices and ticket terminals sell season tickets and Troika cards. In most terminals you can pay by card.
Price of the issue. Single ticket.
|1 trip - 55 rubles. / 2 trips - 110 rubles.||valid 5 days from the date of sale|
|20 trips - 747 rubles. / 40 trips - 1494 rub.||valid 90 days from the date of sale|
|1 day - 218 rubles. / 3 days - 415 rubles. / 7 days - 830 rubles.||valid 10 days from the date of sale|
The price of the issue. Trips with the Troika card.
- Ride on the metro and monorail - 36 rubles.
- Travel by ground transport - 36 rubles.
- Ride by metro and ground transport at the rate of 90 minutes with transfers - 56 rubles.
- Travel card for 30 days for any type of transport - 2075 rubles.
It is convenient to create a route using all types of transport on the websites and applications of 2GIS and Yandex.Transport (displays buses, trolleybuses, trams and some route taxis in real time on the city map).
How to get to the stadium?
Moscow will host the World Cup in two stadiums - Luzhniki and Spartak.
|Luzhniki Stadium||Spartak Stadium|
| Thu 14 June 18:00
Russia - Saudi Arabia
| Sat 16 June 16:00
Argentina - Iceland
| Sun 17 June 18:00
Germany - Mexico
| Tue 19 June 18:00
Poland - Senegal
| Wed 20 June 15:00
Portugal - Morocco
| Sat 23 June 15:00
Belgium - Tunisia
| Tue 26 June 17:00
Denmark - France
| Wed 27 June 21:00
Serbia - Brazil
| Sun 1st Jul 17:00
B1 - A2
|Tue Jul 3 21:00 / 8/1 H1 - G2|
| Wed 11 July 21:00
W59 - W60
| Sun 15 July 18:00
W61 - W62
There are several convenient routes to the stadiums: how to get to the match in Luzhniki - watch here , to Spartak stadium - here .
Where to live in Moscow?
We recommend looking for housing as close as possible to metro stations - this is the most convenient and fastest way to move around the capital, which covers almost all corners of the city.
On the website of the Fan Accommodation and Service Center, you can leave a request so that you will be answered within 1-3 days and offered from 5 to 20 accommodation options for the specified number of guests at the desired cost. Or you can search yourself through the FIF websiteA, Booking.com or Airbnb. FIFA offers a total of 18 accommodation options in Moscow, of which 11 are located in and around the center, but only 3 hotels are available for the final dates.
On Airbnb Muscovites are cordially invited to stay with them - more than 300 options for accommodation in the center and surrounding areas:
|One-room apartment with a modern design near the Luzhniki stadium and the Moscow State University fan zone||Watch.|
|Spacious bright apartment near the Spartak stadium for a large company. You can have a BBQ or fireworks on the rooftop veranda||Watch.|
Booking offers 3000 accommodation options, 1048 of them are located in the Central Administrative District:
|Hostel near Moscow City with a double room and private bathroom||Watch.|
|Hotel near the Izmailovo Kremlin with 1-2-bed rooms||Watch.|
|Hotel in quiet Zamoskvorechye, within walking distance of the Tretyakov Gallery and Red Square||Watch.|
Recommended to visit
Moscow is immense, and trying to top the most beautiful / interesting / popular places is pointless, because everyone loves the capital in their own way, finds in these streets something close and understandable to him alone.
If this is your first time in the city , start with a classic sightseeing tour: the Moscow Kremlin of the 15th century, the Bolshoi Theater, the Old pedestrian street Arbat, Zaryadye Park, Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow City, Patriarch's Ponds, Kolomenskoye and Tsaritsyno estates, VDNKh, Izmailovsky Kremlin, Poklonnaya Gora, Gorky Park, etc. For convenience, you can buy a hop-on / hop-off bus ticket and see the main sights with the ability to get off at stops and continue exploring the city on foot. And do not forget to take a boat ride on the Moskva River! The view from the water is radically different from what you will see before.
If you are more interested in art venues , then start with the Garage Museum of Contemporary Art and continue walking along the Crimean Embankment, Muzeon Park, the former Krasny Oktyabr plant, Winzavod Center for Contemporary Art, Flacon Design Factory and Artplay.
Moscow may seem to be too urbanized city: everywhere there are houses, office buildings, asphalt, tiles, a lot of cars ... But, in fact, there are many parks and places in the capital where you can get to know nature better. For families with children the Oceanarium, the Moscow Zoo and the botanical garden are perfect for the Aptekarskiy Ogorod. And if you want to get free access to green trees and silence, go to Fili Park, Neskuchny Sad, Krylatskie Hills, Izmailovo, Elk Island National Park.
What to try in Moscow?
- Traditional Russian cuisine : borscht, hodgepodge, fish soup, fire cutlets, pickled milk mushrooms, herring, okroshka, Olivier, kulebyaki, kvass ... A feast like a mountain, tables bursting with a variety of dishes! If suddenly you haven’t tried something, then in the capital it is the place to improve and taste Russian cuisine.
- Soviet pasties. The love of Muscovites for this dish is inexplicable, the establishments are popular despite the fact that many townspeople follow their food and try to lead a healthy lifestyle.
- Cake Moscow. On the 850th anniversary of Moscow, residents voted for the cake-the symbol of the city More than 200 thousand votes were received by the Nut cake with condensed milk - this is what people associate with the capital - it is interesting to try!
- Craft beer. This completely breaks the stereotype about Russians, vodka, balalaika and earflaps, but oddly enough, in Moscow beer is more popular, moreover, craft beer. Go out in the evening for a stroll along Tverskoy Boulevard and the surrounding area and you will find the best bars in the city with a very nice price tag.
- Ice cream. Every year the capital hosts a festival of this delicacy, but in addition to the festival days, Muscovites are happy to eat ice cream to cool off in the hot summer or simply to delight themselves with a pleasant taste. Very good ice cream in GUM and Gorky Park - I recommend trying it.
- Shawarma. Generally not related to Russian cuisine and, in general, a new product on the public catering market, but it took root quite quickly and gained popularity among all ages, because it is an affordable, cheap, fast, fresh and tasty product.
Where to have a bite to eat in Moscow?
Of the tasty and inexpensive options, there are Teremok with their pancakes, borscht and dumplings (menu here). But if Teremok is usually located in shopping centers and food is served in plastic dishes, then Mu-mu , Rake or Lunch-Buffet are full-fledged cafes with floral decorations and plenty of seating. All dishes are presented here on the shelves, you just need to ask - and you will be served a portion or several.
If you do not want to be limited in your choice of cuisine, make a choice in favor of modern Moscow markets with their food -courses, where various cafes and grocery stores are presented, you can drink coffee on the veranda and enjoy a pleasant relaxing atmosphere. For example, Usachevsky (metro station Sportivnaya) and Danilovsky (metro station Tulskaya) markets are also located not far from Luzhniki.
To escape from the atmosphere of the dining room and comfortably sit in a cafe, we recommend looking at Odessa-mom or Moscowe sky at VDNKh.
For gourmets, we recommend visiting the Pan-Asian restaurant Bamboo.Bar and Chicago Grill & Bar - delicious dishes from the chef and design of establishments will not leave you indifferent, but this is not an option for a cheap snack. A special set from the Championship is available.
Users of the Championship service. Tickets will receive a 20 percent discount
For whom the words detox, pp and smoothies are more than just sound, must visit the restaurant Fresh.
will offer nitro coffee, eir latte and coffee kombucha in a glass bottle: SkuratovSoffee , LES Coffee House , Cooperative Black.
Souvenirs : what to bring from Moscow?
In the souvenir shops you can find anything you want: T-shirts and mugs with photographs of the capital, matryoshka dolls, mugs and boxes with Khokhloma painting, earflaps, etc. But if it is more important for you that the souvenir works, and not just gathers dust on the shelf, then here are some options for gifts for yourself and loved ones from the capital of Russia.
- Pavloposad shawl.
- Belyovskaya pastila.
- Tula gingerbread.
- New Zarya perfume factory. Where to buy: on the website or in a retail store - addresses. The classic scent Krasnaya Moskva may seem harsh, try Mila and Kuznetsky Most.
- Sweets from Krasny Oktyabr, RotFront, Babaevsky factories. Where to buy: in any supermarket, but if you are interested in beautiful gift sets, then look at the retail store - addresses, or buy on the website. A set of Kremlin sweets from RotFront is in special demand among tourists.
- Porcelain from the Dulevo Porcelain Factory , including cups, saucers with the 2018 World Cup and porcelain sculptures of the Zabivaki mascot. Where to buy: on the website or in retail stores in the Moscow region - addresses.
Moscow is always ready for the arrival of guests and offers many attractions and places for leisure. And if you get tired of the city, you can go to the region, for example, to Sergiev Posad or Kolomna - the cities of the Golden Ring of Russia with ancient architecture and a calm flow of life. In the northwest of Moscow, you can relax on the river. Or go shopping at one of the Mega malls outside the Moscow Ring Road. Everyone will find something to do with themselves!