Feel the atmosphere of Kaliningrad winter
Guides to the cities of the World Cup: what to see in Kaliningrad
From the FIFA World Cup, fans bring with them not only memories of the game itself, but also of the cities in which the matches are held. Today we will tell you about Kaliningrad: we will deal with public transport, housing, attractions, food and souvenirs.
Kaliningrad is the westernmost point of Russia. The geographical position and color of the city are truly unique. Here you can find the sea, German-style toy brick houses, and picturesque green areas. Here you can really relax and have fun.
How to get from the airport and from railway station in Kaliningrad?
First, let's figure out how to get to the city from the Khrabrovo international airport, which is located 25 km from the center of Kaliningrad. There are two easy ways to get to the city: by bus and by car.
- Bus: route number 244-E. This bus takes you to the city in about 45 minutes. A bus runs from the airport to the Yuzhny bus station. Departures every 40 minutes from 8:30 am to 9:15 pm. Buses are based about 100 meters from the airport itself - you can say within walking distance.
- Taxi. The second option is to get there by car. Yandex.Taxi, Get Taxi, Uber services will be available in Kaliningrad. You can also use the taxi dispatch desks on the ground floor of the airport terminal. Help order service phone: +7 (4012) 911-911. On average, the road to the central part of Kaliningrad will cost 500-1000 rubles, depending on the specific area.
Now let's find out what the situation is with railway stations. There are two stations in Kaliningrad - Yuzhny (station Kaliningrad-Passenger) and Severny (station Kaliningrad-Severny). The South Station serves long-distance and suburban trains, the North Station serves routes between Kaliningrad and the cities of the region. Both are located in the central part of the city, so there should be no difficulties.
Due to the geographical position of Kaliningrad, you can take a ferry on the return journey. From the sea time of Baltiysk, located 50 km from the city, you can swim to the Leningrad Region in 2.5 days.
Where to live in Kaliningrad?
One of the options for accommodation in Kaliningrad during the World Cup is an apartment. Various offers are available on Airbnb . Perhaps it is logical to consider housing in the central area of the city to make it easier to visit the sights. We have selected three variants of apartments as an example.
The price of the issue - from 800 to 2000 rubles per day.
|An apartment in the center of Kaliningrad, where, judging by the reviews, perfect cleanliness. Designed for 4 people.||Watch.|
|Less spacious version, designed for two people, but the price is much less. The main advantage is its location in the heart of Kaliningrad.||Watch.|
|It is less than a kilometer to walk from this apartment to the Kaliningrad stadium. 2 places.||Watch.|
Now let's see how things are with hotels. Let's say right away that staying in a hotel is likely to be more expensive than in an apartment. Let's see what the Booking service has to offer.
|Hotel Europe near the center. About 1.5 km from the Amber Museum.||Watch.|
|Hotel with its own garden, about 1.5 km from the central square.||Watch.|
|Hotel in a picturesque location just 100 meters from the Königsberg Cathedral. A view of the Pregolya river opens.||Watch.|
How to get to the stadium in Kaliningrad?
Kaliningrad Stadium is located on Oktyabrsky Island. For more information on how to get to the arena by public transport, see here .
Perhaps the two most common types of public transport here are buses and minibuses. Most of the routes go through the city center. You can also use a trolleybus and a tram as a means of transportation. By the way, Kaliningrad has the oldest tram system in Russia.
For convenience, you can use applications KLoBus39, Bustime, Go2bus.
A trip by minibus costs about 22 rubles.
Recommended for visiting: in a nutshell
- Kant Island. It used to be called Kneiphof. This is a picturesque place located in the central part of Kaliningrad and surrounded by the Pregolya River. In this historical part of the city, it is not only pleasant to contemplate nature, but also you can visit outstanding sights.
- Cathedral. One of the monuments located on the island of Kant. The construction of the monumental structure began in the XIV century. This cathedral is made in the style of the Hanseatic, or red-brick, Gothic, often found in Germany and Poland.
- Fishing village. Ethnographic, trade and craft center, a short embankment in the style of old Koenigsberg.
- Amber Museum. Did you know that the Kaliningrad region has more than 90% of the world's amber reserves? Therefore, the Museum of the Baltic Gem is a must-see. The museum is housed in a historic fortress tower.
- Park Yunost. Here you will find natural landscapes, attractions, a mirror labyrinth, an Upside Down House, and an opportunity to ride a boat - in a word, an ideal place to relax with the whole family.
- Museum of the World Ocean. This is not just a museum, but a whole complex. Of course, you should visit the main building, where impressive aquariums, collections of corals, shells of sea molluscs, geological samples are presented. The museum complex also includes the Royal and Friedrichsburg gates - architectural monuments of the 19th century.
- Castles. If you are impressed by places imbued with the spirit of the Middle Ages, then in Kaliningrad you can find several castles. Some are practically destroyed and survived as ruins, but there are some that have been reconstructed. For example, Schaaken Castle is used as a museum and historical complex.
What to try in Kaliningrad?
- Klopsy. This is the name of the traditional Kaliningrad cutlets made from minced veal in a creamy sauce with capers. You can try this dish in different cafes - for example, in the art cafe “12 chairs” or in “Steindamm 99”, in the restaurant “Sun Stone” or “Kaiser Wurst” - or even bought in the supermarket as canned food.
- Fish and seafood. There are no problems with fish in Kaliningrad, which is explained not only by the geographical location, but also by the traditional ability of local residents to cook this fish. The Kurena restaurant is popular among Kaliningraders, where freshly caught fish is prepared. You can also drop by the Fish Club. In principle, you can also look at the Central Market for fresh fish.
- Beer. Let's not forget that Kaliningrad has German roots, so beer is in the best traditions here.
- Croissants. Delicious pastries can be tasted at Croissant Cafe, a chain of pastry shops that adhere to the best European traditions.
Where to have a bite to eat in Kaliningrad?
We have already mentioned some of the options, but let's make a few more tips.
- Borsch & lard. Here you will find the first, and the second, and the third, and compote. Hearty and affordable. See the menu.
- Hops. This is where you can taste beer. Yes, and notably refresh yourself: there are many meat dishes on the menu. See the menu.
- Aunt Fischer. As the name suggests, you can taste traditional German cuisine here. They declare themselves as follows: A German restaurant with a Russian soul. See the menu.
- Madame Boucher. This is one of the fish restaurants. In addition to delicious fish dishes, the location of the establishment is remarkable. The restaurant is located in a lighthouse with a great view.
Souvenirs: what to bring from Kaliningrad
- Amber. No kidding. There are special shops in the city where you can buy artfully made amber products. Well, what aboutYou can find mi Baltic gems on the seashore.
- Marzipan . Marzipan products are popular in Kaliningrad. Available from the supermarket.
- Fish and beer. As you already understood, without these two products in Kaliningrad nowhere.
We wish you to get maximum pleasure not only from the World Championship, but also from Kaliningrad. This town with German roots and Russian soul can conquer anyone.