Garbine Muguruza \
Garbinier Mugurus: I try to get better in every new season
Being a true tennis champion, Garbinier hits targets like no other. Ahead of the launch of the new adidas capsule collection, world-renowned top model Karlie Kloss met with Garbinier and talked about how sports affect her life on and off the court and how she helps a new generation of creative women create themselves mentally and physically.
- After so many successful years on the court, how do you set yourself new goals at the beginning of the season?
- I try to get better in each new season. The goal is always the same - to be ahead. I say this because if you don't take care of yourself, you can get stuck in one place, so I concentrate on working on the details, in which I still lag behind.
- How do you prepare for the big match physically and mentally?
- I'm trying to visualize the game and situations that can happen during a match. I try not to lose concentration. I study what I need to do, especially with regard to tactics. I need to analyze each of my opponents and be as relaxed as possible before the match.
- In your career, training is part of how you make a living. How do you find ways to make activities enjoyable so they don't feel like part of the job?
- It's hard. Sometimes even very much. There are days when I feel like I’m not ready to give my best and work hard. In such cases, I try to find something that will cheer me up, I think about how lucky I am to do what I love, while many do not have that opportunity. There are days when I see the situation in a different light and I need to work on my attitude.
I also try not to torture myself and not try to achieve something impossible every day. On the contrary, I try to be humble and understand that there are good days and there are not so good days. The latter are especially important because at times like these you need to find a way to deal with the difficulties at the end of the day and still feel like you enjoyed it.
- What is your offseason workout like?
- I am an active person, I always try to be in motion. If I don't play tennis, I do other sports or go for walks and dancing ... I do anything to stay away from the couch.
- What is your favorite type of training, not related with tennis?
- I love to work out in the gym. I also really like dancing, it helps me to be energetic and stay in good shape.
- Besides tennis, you are interested in fashion and design. What piqued this interest in you?
- I love fashion and have already started working on my own ideas in this direction. My mother dreamed of becoming a designer, obviously, I inherited this interest from her. We always talk about fashion, what we see in magazines and what others are wearing. I also really like it gorgeousto look like. All this awakened in me an interest in the world of fashion and a desire to study, know and work on my own ideas.
- Working with adidas, I think a lot about the intersection of such different worlds - sports and fashion. What do you think about that?
- This is an interesting combination, because you can train or take part in serious competitions, while feeling comfortable and at the same time looking amazing. My new adidas capsule collection gives the feeling that you can be fashionable and successful at the same time.
- You and I have a lot in common - we both develop initiatives to help girls get education. Why is it so important to address women's empowerment, and do you think sports and creativity can help in this?
- I try to use media attention to help young girls who do not have those opportunities that I had. I work with Rooms To Read (* an American nonprofit organization dedicated to literacy and gender equality in education in developing countries). Just recently, we were able to raise enough funds to build my first school library in a small village in Cambodia. Hopefully by the end of the year I will be able to go there and visit the guys. I am convinced that each of us can help those in need.
- Tell us why it is important for you to do something else besides tennis?
- I think it's very important not to focus solely on tennis. The sports career of athletes does not last long, and in the future I would like to do something new: that's why I am interested in other areas and expand my circle of friends. I have opportunities that most of my peers do not have, and I try to take advantage of them to gain knowledge that will help me start a new chapter after retirement from professional sports.
- You can't imagine a workout without: m languages
- Favorite item from your collection: Believe This leggings - I really love the color, it matches all my tops!
- Favorite pre- or post-workout snack: croissant;
- Life motto: only live once.
- Style icon: Carolina Herrera;
- Training with a partner or alone? Depends on your mood.
- Stretching or pumping? Pumping;
- Workout with or without makeup? No makeup;
- Workout in the morning or evening? In the morning;
- City or nature? Nature;
- After training you feel ... I'm proud of myself.
- Expressing yourself means ... sharing a piece of yourself.
- I use creativity to ... unload my head.