Jairam Ramesh @Algebra
From Russia with love. Premiere of the film with Olya Laughing
On the eve of the premiere of the film From Russia With Love we talked with the main character of the filming process - the three-time Russian snowboard champion in the disciplines of half-pipe and big-air Olya Smeshlivaya and director-operator of the film Darina.
- Olya, tell us what the film will be about?
- To make it clearer, the shooting took place in Sochi. In this video, we wanted to show that there are places in Russia where you can practice extreme sports - snowboarding, skateboarding, surfing, wakesurfing, as well as beautiful locations and the unique nature of our country. This work is not just my skating profile, this is a real film with a beautiful picture and plot.
- What will Sochi be like in your film?
- I wanted show everyone a place with unique climatic conditions. For many, it is very unusual that you can snowboard in the mountains, and in an hour already catch a wave at sea. I repeat once again, this is a unique place in Russia, and in the world, there are few of them.
- Who was included in the film crew?
- Did the main filming Darina, drone footage - Pete Boer.
- What difficulties did you face during filming as a rider?
- Firstly, when filming a video project, I did not have time to rest and relax, every day I tried to give my best, to do all the necessary tricks. For example, I rarely skated in the backcountry, in a powder. I am mainly a park rider and it was the hardest for me to walk in deep snow ( smiles ). Another problem is the accumulated fatigue and dependence on the weather. Sometimes the mood was not very good, but you still had to go and shoot. The feeling that the result would be something unrealistically cool made us move forward.
- How long did it take to remove one trick?
- If it was a serious trick, it could take all day to shoot. It all depended on how rolled I was, on the complexity of the trick, the springboard. Most of the material had to be filmed from several angles, respectively, it was necessary to repeat the tricks several times.
Darin : The day was considered successful if at least one or two tricks were filmed, and sometimes that nothing was filmed. And it's very hard. When we started shooting, the weather was not right, we waited a week. It was constantly raining or very wet snow, so instead of the two weeks allotted for the project, we filmed for more than a month.
Photo: www .instagram.com / smeshlivaya
- Darin, what difficulties did you face as a videographer?
- For me, the difficulty is when shooting a rider in first of all is to work with him and be on the same wavelength. Olya and I know each other very muchlong ago, and even if we were in a bad mood, we were in control. We tried not to swear, because we understood why we were doing all this. I also constantly forced her to walk up and tried to motivate her. I understood: if we do not do anything and do not shoot, it will be my joint.
- Open the veil of secrecy, tell us what we will definitely see extraordinary in the film.
OS : The unplanned opening of the wakesurf season, when the water was still quite cold, was a surprise on the set. And at sunset I was able to ride the same wavelength with the dolphins.
D. : It was very cold, and we had literally 10 minutes to shoot something, because Olya could no longer be in the water. And then she decided to catch the final wave. We shoot all this, and I think: Oh gods, what a wonderful picture: sunset, Olya is driving. And suddenly dolphins appear, they swim on the waves right behind her! Perhaps this is the best thing that I have shot in my life, it's just incredible.
- Olya, do you already have plans for further video projects?
- The next shooting is in Australia, there will be a lot of action, local nature and kangaroo. This is my first time going there. I will study everything and tell about everything in a new video. In future travels, I plan to discover even more beautiful locations and untouched nature.
You can learn about the shooting process from Olya Smeshlivaya's video blogs on YouTube.